Sunday, May 11, 2014

December 12th, 2013 - Final MTC Email.. Hopefully

So Folks, I have finally arrived at my last P-day in the MTC well, one can hope right....But assuming weather permits me to leave I should be heading out Monday, at a unspeakable time (2:30am).....I think I might die. I am on a very strict schedule. Today I packed almost all my things. They don't have vacuums with hoses on them so I attempted packing without using my vacuum seal bags. Turns out everything is going to fit...maybe? I still have a few odds and ends. 
So the last week, First off, Elder Quentin L. Cook came and spoke to us on Tuesday....AWESOME. He talked a lot about the process of assigning a missionary. He said something that was fascinating to me, He said generally when they feel impressed to send someone to a certain mission it is because they feel that the missionary needs to work with a certain mission president. He said that is most commonly what the feel impressed about, not so much the place or, though sometimes, and sometimes it is the people that they should serve with, and occasionally it is a feeling that they need to help a specific person living in a mission. This was interesting to me since when they reassigned me to Chicago West mission they told me it was because they wanted me to stay with the same mission president I was originally assigned to. He said that usually they feel the missionary needs to learn and grow and have experiences with a specific mission president and his wife. So cool! :)
Also this week, we have had some really cool lessons, ones that had the spirit so strongly. Here is what changed. We had a lesson on the Atonement of Christ. In this lesson our teacher said something that hit me really hard. If Christ only had to be crucified for a few of us, He still would have. She said if Christ only had to sacrifice His life for me, He still would have because that is how much He loves me. And I know in my heart this is true. But when she said this, I realized that is also how Christ feels about each of you reading this, and each of my investigators individually. If He had to give his life only for you, He still would have. When I thought of my investigators this way, I was filled with a deep love for them. I have been trying to keep that in mind when I am teaching, and when I am praying for inspiration for their lessons. I try to pray more fervently and really feel how much Jesus loves them. It has made all of the difference. In my lessons when I am feeling this way for them and I stop to try and think of something say, I (figuratively) look upward, and am filled with the words they need to hear. Sometimes it is scary, I have felt prompted to share stories that I wouldn't normally share, or be bold and call people out a little bit. But I know it is right, and I know that I am doing it because I love them, and they know this, because I really feel it, and it is obvious. It has been cool.
That has been one of the things I have been working really hard on this week, but right along with that, I have been working really hard to open my heart. I am not a person that allows myself to really feel things deeply as I have mentioned in prior emails, but in order to be a successful missionary I need things to sink deep into my heart, the doctrine, the love for all of God's children, etc. I have been studying Faith a lot, and trying to have more. Because with more faith all things are possible. Miracles happen. Investigators come unto Christ. Along with that I have been studying the Atonement as I mentioned. Because through the Atonement comes an understanding and a hope and well increased faith. It is awesome. Have I mentioned how much I truly love my Savior. Trying to put it into words is pointless. But I want everyone to know that I really love my Savior, and I know this church is His church, and I invite everyone to pray to know this for themselves. Whether they already know or they are unsure, or have never wondered. You can always pray to know, and have in confirmed again or for the first time. This is His church. He is our Savior. He laid down His life for us, that we can repentant and come unto Him through baptism, and live with our Father in Heaven again. What an awesome message! Especially this time of year, as we celebrate His birth. Let us remember what Christmas is really about. Him. Our Lord and Savior. Our Rescuer. Our Friend. Our confidant. I encourage those of you that know this, and have felt Him in your life to share this with those who haven't. That is what this season is about.
Anyway, sorry! I am a missionary after all :) That makes me so happy. Sharing this with others. I am so excited to get to Chicago. It doesn't feel real, like it is really happening! And I know it will be hard, and I can't comprehend the struggles I will face, and maybe this is just the new/nonunderstanding missionary in me talking, but I welcome those struggles because I know it will strengthen my testimony, and deepen my conversion. I know that it will refine me, and bring me closer to Him if I allow it to. I know that through our challenges we become the people our Father in Heaven wants us to become, and learn the things we need to learn to become more like the Father. 
In case you are curious about the spanish, well it is coming along. I am no where near good, However I feel like in my brain I get it, I understand the rules, and how to speak correctly, but then my speaking doesn't exactly show this. I feel like I am just out of the habit of speaking spanish. I speak when I have to and the rest of the time I just use english. I can understand somewhat, But I am awaiting the shock I will feel when I talk to real speakers in the field...haha However I did skype teach a lady in Bolivia the other day, and I understood her so that was cool (but she was probably speaking slowly...) Oh! cool thing about this lady, Her daughter is serving in my mission right NOW! She has been there for 8 months and she is spanish speaking, So I will definitely meet her! :) It was cool!
So, that was my week, you might not hear from me for awhile depending on when my P-day is in the field. And that Christmas is the week after I get there!! I am not sure when I will be emailing again. But I love you all. And I pray for you daily. I invited you all, as a representative of Jesus Christ, to come unto Christ. To turn your hearts more fully to Him. He is the way. Through Him we find true and lasting happiness, we find someone to lift our burdens, and we find the answers to the questions in our hearts and souls. He is not just the way, but the ONLY way. And why would you not want to. He loves you more than you can comprehend. I know these things are true. I have seen it in my life, as I have struggled to live contrary to His will, and as I have tried to realign my life with Him.
Again, I love you! If you don't hear from me, Merry Christmas! Remember who and what it's about.

Love, 
Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment