Sunday, May 11, 2014

The week I got strep throat and also almost died....separately - Jan 27, 2014

Hello everyone!
So yes, this week, well I must be doing something right since I keep almost dying! Well as far as the strep goes, it isn't super bad, well actually they tell me it is strep but I don't really feel like I am dying? I just have white dots on my throat, and it is swollen on the outside, but it doesn't really hurt very bad. It hurt worse a few weeks ago when I was sick forever. So there's that. If it gets worse I am suppose to go to the doctor. But as of now I guess I am fine? But almost dying....yeah that was real. So here we are trying to cross the street, I look one way, no cars, I look the other way, cars, so I wait for them to pass, then, I step off the street, that's when I hear "Hermana!" And look to my left there is a car very close to me, and not slowing down. I didn't know what to do for a heart beat, step the few steps back to the curb, or continue crossing. I just froze. And then in what felt like slow motion I backed up to the curb, not
exaggeration, within maybe 3 seconds of my stepping onto the curb the car flies by. My companion was just like "what were you thinking?" I was just like there wasn't any cars when I looked. Rookie mistake, forgot to look again. So a few minutes later after this she is like holy cow I just realized what would have happened if you hadn't moved exactly when you did, and I was like yeah, I would have died. We just paused for a moment and let that sink in. It didn't really hit me though until I got home that night that I realized actually would have died. That car was going to fast. It was crazy I just got this feeling that I can't really explain, but it was close to the same as when I came home from work that night we got robbed, and the guy had the gun. The moment you actually realize you could have died. Cause you don't think about it in the moment really. You just act. It was crazy. So that was the miracle this week. I am alive.
Oh and just so you know, it is freezing here. Literally. (Say it in the voice from parks and rec). You step outside and you go, nope, nope, definitely not. But at least we have the car this week! That's always a plus.
Oh on Sunday I gave my first talk, didn't prepare it. I hate writing talks, I just like to get up and speak my peace. It went pretty well. Well everyone told me it was. I am not really sure what I said. Especially when I speak Spanish, sometimes I just talk and hope the right words are coming out because I can't really understand myself. It's an awkward feeling.
This week we had zone conference it was cool. We have awesome leaders. We have transfers next Tuesday. This was a 7 weeks transfer. But I would be shocked if I go somewhere or get a new companion. Though that actually could happen because she has been here 5 months which is a while. Next transfers are on my 21st birthday! (March 18th). So I will probably get a new companion on my birthday..... :( oh well!
This week went really fast, but it was kinda boring (well for all you reading at home) besides what I already told you. So I am not sure what else to say. People are trying to fatten me up, and I am like wow wow wow. I want none of that. Haha I say no to more and always ask for only a small amount (which is still more than a normal person eats). And now people know and they give me smaller portions and don't ask if I want more. It is nice. Haha also we have this angel women in our ward who ALWAYS gives us groceries. Like cereal and granola bars and then usually food she has made like tamales. But she always gives us milk too, which would be awesome except it is fat free....and my companion and I drink whole milk. We try and give it away, but no one wants it. She also gives it to us every week. So right now we have two gallons of milk in our fridge. We decided we are only eating cereal this week. We have so much of both. So good times.
We have some crazy goals this week. So were are preparing to have a week of miracles. Well I love you all. I hope you are getting pumped for the Super Bowl. That would be so awesome. Hispanics don't watch the Super Bowl. :(
I love you. Fight the good fight. Sorry this is a lame email. Maybe I
will write more later.

Love,
Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment