Sunday, May 11, 2014

The week that we saw miracles! - Feb 3, 2014

Hellllo Everybody :)
So just forewarning. This is going to be a long email. A lot happened this week! I will save the best for last :)
So let's gets real THE SEAHWAWKS WON THE SUPERBOWL! Like whaaaaaat. They didn't just win, they destroyed, how embarrassing. Everyone over here loves the Broncos, and I was just like NEVER doubt my team again. Haha but really I was so excited I was running around the apartment! Pumped.
Anyway, so.....transfers.....I am just going to cut to the chase, my companion/trainer is getting transferred..... :( we were pretty bummed. I mean she has been here awhile, but we weren't expecting that really. Everyone in our zone except the zone leaders is getting a new companion. It's weird at transfers because I realize how sad it is for the ward to keep telling missionaries goodbye. So many tears yesterday (none of the mine). Anyway, so she leaves tomorrow. My new companion is Hermana Barlow. She is apparently awesome. I met her once this week because we have sisters conference (I will talk about that later). She sings beautifully, and apparently plays the piano, so my ward is very
excited about that. But I am kind of stressed out because I am staying here, and I will be senior companion, since this is my area and she doesn't know it. But I still have training. And I don't really know the area that well, and Hermana Jacobson is taking her GPS and I am not buying one cause they are like a million dollars. So we will figure it out. My poor new companion though she comes in on a week we don't have the car. So we will have to find rides everywhere and by we I mean I since she doesn't know anyone. Understanding Spanish on the phone is a challenge. Oh boy. I mean I am really starting to understand Spanish a lot better, and by a lot better I mean I think I am being significantly blessed since finding out she is leaving because it is like something just switched on inside of me and now my brain/ears are in tune to comprehend Spanish. Don't get me wrong not super well, but yesterday, I actually held conversations with people
without her help. For those of you who have learned another language, you know it's super exciting.  So anyway, what I am saying is I am anticipating a slightly stressful week, and your prayers are much appreciated.
Now drum roll please, the most exciting news :) we had a surprise BAPTISM!!!!!!!!!!! :) do you remember me telling you a little about Ligia, her family is from Ecuador? She is the women we met my first month here, she is from a part member family, her daughter is a member. She has come to church a bunch and we taught her a bunch and then she just dropped us randomly. But she is the one that just randomly showed up to church a couple weeks ago. Then we taught her that Tuesday, and it was good. But she didn't come to church last week. So we stopped by this last Tuesday and taught her and she said, I want to be baptized. (Side note, she has had 4 baptismal dates! 4!). So we were like okay well we want you to pray about it and make sure. We called her on Thursday and she said she prayed and she knows she needs to make this covenant. So we spent Friday and Saturday teaching her the last two lessons, and preparing her baptism, and getting her interviewed. And then Sunday came, and she showed up and got BAPTISED! It was so awesome. It was seriously a miracle. We set crazy goals for ourself this week, and it really helped us to raise our vision and work harder and though most of our goals we didn't reach, we had a surprise baptism! The whole time I was just thinking to myself, this is what it is all about. It is so true what President Fenn always says, the mission is a series of disappointments occasionally interrupted by moments of inexplicable joy. That was last night. It
can't be explained. When you work with someone and love them, and then they drop you, but The Lord is working in them still, and you see them make those covenants. It is pure joy. She got out and she hugged me all sopping wet and told me she was so happy we had never given up on her because she felt like she was in Heaven. It was a super awesome experience. The baptism was so spiritual. Everyone's talks, the music all of it. It was made more cool (I know that isn't the right way to say that, Spanish brain) by the fact that everyone in the ward knows her daughter who is 17 and loves her and everyone was so excited to see a family being brought together in the gospel. That was what made it better. Salvation is a family affair. Oh gosh, I wish you could have all been there. It was so cool. Those are the pictures I included, of her baptism.
So also this week we had sisters conference. Which is basically when all of the sister missionaries in the mission get together and are instructed by our sister training leaders, and President and Sister Fenn. It was awesome, except they talked a lot about not being to hard on yourself, and getting depressed, apparently that is a big thing. But it was really cool, and there was a few random things that were talked about that I was like oh! That was for me, it would be something that directly related to something I had been praying for. It is moments like that when you can be assured that our Heavenly Father knows us personally, and He wants to help us. Then of course we were instructed by President Fenn, he never writes talks or anything, he just gets up and talks. Usually about faith, obedience unto becoming consecrated and sanctified, and Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. Those are the things he is super passionate about. It is always awesome. He speaks with such passion. That was the first time I was listening to him speak and I just thought to myself, I feel sorry for everyone that doesn't have President Fenn as a mission president. He is just so noble, and he always talks about how much he loves Sister Fenn(they are high school sweethearts). How he is only getting into the celestial kingdom because he is sealed to her and she is getting in. If it wasn't for her, he wouldn't be the man he is. He goes on and on. It is very tender. So husbands love your wives, and wives love your husband. You need each other.
Being a missionary is the best, even when it is the hardest thing you have ever done. I want my brothers and my cousins and all those preparing to go on missions, or thinking about it, to know that it is the best thing. It is hard, it seems like a sacrifice, but is the best thing. The relationship I have already developed and cultivated with my Savior is amazing to me. I hope you will all go. Well as for my brothers, you will go! ;) but it will be the best thing for your life. I would never take back the struggle it was to get here, because now that I am here, I realize that no sacrifice is to great, No price to high, for the opportunity to serve The Lord. So sanctify yourselves as Elder Holland says, and go on a mission so The Lord can work wonders with you.
Anyway, I have lots to do today, so I will write more later maybe. I love you all. Fight the good fight.
Love,
Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment