Sunday, May 11, 2014

The week we decided was actually the pre "the dream" week - Mar 17, 2014

Hi there,
So I kind of thought about writing you my whole email in Spanish, haha. But then I realized that wouldn't be very nice for those of you who can't speak Spanish, or read Spanish. So here it is, English. I feel like there isn't much to say this week. Well transfers are tomorrow, and guess who is getting transferred........not me........or my companion......but probably some other missionaries. Haha had you going for a singular scone didn't I. Haha but yeah, anyway, I am staying in Arlington heights 3rd north, also know as Wheeling,
Illinois. And Hermana Barlow is staying as well, we are both relieved about that. Good things are happening here, who wants to leave when good things are happening? Plus I wanted to spend my birthday here, with the members who I know and love, and who know and love me. Plus with Hermana Barlow, since we have the same birthday. I was actually fine with staying or going. I am getting ready for another adventure in another area, but also, this place is home so when I leave it I'll be like leaving home again.

So on to this week, well first, we changed our car share so, we don't have to go the whole week without the car, so that's great. But we still walk a lot, but I don't really care, it has been beautiful here. And you would be surprised, I never complain, I mean not for real. Haha sometimes just for jokes. My companion and I will take turns dropping to the ground and saying, "uhhhh, I just want to go to the spirit world for a little while" haha......and by take turns I mean it's me, I do it, not her. Haha


But on Thursday, we went and did service, this service consisted of going to an old folks home and talking to old people for an hour. ITS THE BEST THING. We're going to go back every week. We met this women named Angie, and she just told us all about her life. She says to us, "I have been alive for 3/4 of a century. That's a long time." Haha she is so sweet, I mean we talked with her about nothing really but I just had such a good feeling, like I was doing something right. When I come home (in 14 years) I am totally going to visit with the people in those homes. They're awesome, and so many of them don't have any family, like Angie, and they don't want much of your time, they just want to talk to you. Angie told us, talking to us makes her feel young. When we went to leave she said, "I love you guys, can you come back next week?"  She kept saying, now I have 2 new friends :) she told us about her life, which was sad, she grew in foster homes, but she always said, but I had a pretty good life, I lived a pretty good life, nothing she said was a complaint. She was happy, and then of course, she went unto the drama about everyone that worked there. Haha she's the best.

Also, JUAN CARLOS CAME TO CHURH. best day ever. Literally. When your investigators do show up at church, it is the best feeling, up there with when hey get baptized. It is surpasses the sadness you felt at them not coming. He is awesome. We are going to invite him to be baptized again, this week. Since when he didn't come to church last week, he fell off date. But he has two little boys, Fernando and David, they are 5, and 4. And for some reason they are obsessed with if people have boyfriends. They first time we met them they asked both me and my companion if we have boyfriends. Haha and they still ask us all the time. So I asked Fernando is he had a girlfriend, and he said yes, and pointed at me......then started holding my hand......haha I was just well sure, you're 5. Haha and I lived with Calvin.....hahah :) (you're beautiful, I love you, always touching you...etc...) haha but anyway, so at church, we were sitting with them and two funny things happened, first our recent convert David, came and sat with us, and he sat by me, and when he sat down Fernando says, "el es tu novio? (he is your boyfriend?)"......it was awkward haha. Then the little one, David, was coloring a picture, and he looked up and saw the girl who was about his age sitting behind us and says, really loudly, "Ella es Bonita"(she is beautiful). And then just went back to coloring like it was no big deal. It was pretty funny. But yes, the best.

So anyway, last but not least, I had a cool experience I wanted to share. So on Tuesday we were teaching a jovencita names Iris. She is 18, but lives with her parents, and they always listens, but they aren't as interested as her. She is dating a boy in our ward, and has been coming to church for a year. So whenever we try and teach her, or something her parents always control/dominate the situation, they talk a lot about how they feel, and what's it's lie for them being catholic and such, and it becomes like Iris isn't even there. So on Tuesday, I was noticing this, and it bugged me, and I felt really strongly like I
needed to ask Iris how she felt, and what she believed, what she felt in her heart. Something she doesn't usually just offer up especially in front of her parents (they are perfectly nice, and supportive, they just don't let her get her word in). Anyway, so I asked her, and right in that moment, the spirit came so strongly, there was no denying it. She hadn't even said anything, and only like 2 seconds had passed but she was almost in tears, and when she answered she said, she didn't know, that it was hard, and she just kept saying that. But that was
okay, because I listened to her, I felt the words come into my mind, I knew what to say next. But then her mom interrupted and said something, but that was okay, because I shortly cut her off, and spoke, and let me tell you, just because you are a missionary doesn't mean every testimony you bear cuts people to the core, or is something you feel burning inside, so far on my mission that has only happened a few times. It's moments like this when you know, without a doubt that you are saying exactly what God wants you to say. And as it says in the scriptures, the spirit constrains you that you cannot shut your mouth, that you have to speak the words. This was one of those moments. I told her, I knew she believed. And what was weird is I did know, same as I know I have two hands, or the sky is blue, I knew. And I told her that Heavenly Father knew who she was, and he knew she was afraid, and that she still had some doubts, and concerns, but that he loved her, and if she continued down this path she would have all the
happiness this life has to offer, and in that moment, I had this little vision in my mind, of Iris coming out of the temple with her future husband after they had been sealed for time and all eternity, and I almost cried, I couldn't talk for a minute, because I knew that was what was in store for her. I don't know I said some other things, but I can't remember. But it was so cool. I felt course through my veins how much Heavenly Father loved her, and how much he wanted her
personally to return to Him. I just felt the spirit working through me so strongly. And it was honestly one of the best experience thus far on my mission. I love that girl a lot, and I desire for her salvation so much. It was crazy. But cool.

Anyway, not sure why I shared that, but the mission is the best. Hard work, mental exertion, and sacrifice of oneself, yes, but the best. When we keep the commandments, when we strive to be exactly obedient, when we seek the spirit, and strive to live the gospel of Jesus Christ fully day to day, it isn't a sacrifice, it is pure happiness. I can't describe it, but living the commandments, and being obedient, it sets you free, it liberates your soul from the bondage of the natural man or women in each of us. It allows our souls which are good, to take control, and lead us on the path back to our Heavenly Father. Because though some of you might not remember right now, you once also longed to return to your Heavenly Father's presence. You were there, you agreed to come here, you were eager to prove yourself, and you sat in the presence of our Beloved Father, and your soul mourned to leave Him, but rejoiced to have the opportunity to come to this earth, and have these experiences that would help you become more like Him, and would help you have the life He has. Don't forget, do not allow the world to pull you from your true potential, your true destiny. You are children of the King. And your soul longs to return to His presence. So be good, and do good. Fight the good fight.

The church is true. Father in Heaven loves you. I love you. :)

Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment