Sunday, May 11, 2014

First Week in Bloomington/Normal - May 5, 2014

Hello Ladies and Gents,
Sorry I accidentally sent a one liner. Whoops.
Well this week has been loooong. Basically I have felt like a fish out of water not knowing where I am going, or where I am. Haha it is great. So good news, I mean yes this is he. Idle of nowhere, but it isn't also. And there is Hispanics, you just have to track them down. Luckily though, there has been about 8ish months since this area was opened so they already have found a lot of them. So we do actually teach, in Spanish! But we can also teach in English, that's a nice
break. Haha we are in a English ward. It's great. Apparently when I pray in English I pronounce some words weird, so it sounds like I have a British accent, it happens when I read the scriptures too they tell me. So there is an Elder serving in this area, that served in my last area, and when he found out I was getting transferred down here, he told the whole ward about it. Haha so first thing they do is ask me to say the closing prayer in sacrament meeting. So I am like sure. Then I get to church on Sunday and am meeting people and such and they are like "oh Hermana Simmons we have heard about you, you pray in a British accent"......I was just like great....haha I know I do it. It isn't intentional, but it has gotten worse since I have stopped speaking English, or praying in English. Haha I feel like I just sound awkward speaking in English now. For example when we go to members houses and share a little message with them and such, and of course it is in English, I just feel so like blahhhh, haha I can't talk, or I fumble over my words, at least in my head. Haha
So we have some great people in this area. I am definitely excited to be here. First is this girl named Carla, she is 20, and has a little 3yr old. She speaks English better then Spanish so we teach her in English, but she is engaged to this guy named Carlos, and he only speaks Spanish. Anyway, they're great. We got them to come to church on Sunday, and Hermana Figueroa was in the back translating, but I got to sit next to them. It was the best. They just soaked it all in. Especially Carlos, we haven't really been able to teach him, but Carl got him to come to church, and he loved it. He is a super nice guy, and he just loves Carla's little girl to death, they're an adorable couple. Anyway, it was so great to sit next to them because it was testimony meeting and he was feeling the spirit, but you could tell he just didn't know what to do. But he liked it. And someone got up and started talking about eternal families, and he reached over and grabbed Carla's hand. It was just the best. They were going to leave after the first hour, because originally Carlos said he would only come if they left after the first hour. But then he said he wanted to stay, so they came to the second hour. Which is in Spanish. Usually one of the members who speaks Spanish teaches, but he wasn't there, so we taught. It was such a good lesson. We just wanted to invite them to be baptized right there, but it would of been weird haha with the other people in class too. Haha so we didn't. Anyway, it was a really great Sunday.
Hermana Figueroa is great. She just speaks Spanish, all the time. She prefers it more then English sometimes, so it's a nice combination of listening to Spanish a lot, but also being about to talk in a language I am comfortable in, English. Haha she is an interesting person. Very random. Haha but funny, and we laugh and get along well.
We also ride the bus here. When we don't have the car we ride the bus it is usually about 2-3hrs of our day riding the bus, because we live out in the boonies, literally. And we do all our work in downtown Bloomington. But I love the bus. It's so fun. All the drivers know us, so we teach them lessons as we drive. They know all the missionaries. So they always say, hey we say those two other boy ones. Haha or the other girls. Etc. We call them district investigators since we all teach them. We also meet really interesting people. It's great. But
since we live so far away we rarely come home for dinner....this week we ate out a lot. But normally we are feed almost every night of the week. She never gets hungry and I am over here like, hey I am going to need to eat very soon, or I will start to get quite grumpy. Hahah it's fun.
So the struggle in this area is that most people work ALL DAY/ALL WEEK. Literally. We can never contact them, much less them come to church. So when we find people who can come to church, we work with them at all costs. We have been focusing on the youth, because they speak English and can be fellowshipped by the ward, and will eventually lead their parents to the truth, and since that we have
found really awesome youth. I mean just great! 

So yes, this week was good. But long. We dont knock doors as much as I thought. I mean not anymore then I did in my last area. This is gonna be good.
We have a washer and dryer in our apartment! And wifi, and I have my own bathroom and closet. What more could you want? I mean to live closer, but that's okay. Also the English sisters live right next door to them, so we spend a lot of time with them. That's also who we share a car with.
Anyway, not much else for this week. But skyping on Sunday!!! It will be best for me between 5-7 your time. Cause we have almost 2hrs. So yeah! I love you. Fight the good fight.
Love,
Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment