Sunday, May 11, 2014

First Week In Mission - Dec. 23

Hey there!
So here it is first P day in the field. Cool cool cool. It seems kind of silly since I will be skyping on Wednesday. But I do have something's to tell you. So first things first, I have an iPad mini for the duration of my mission. Every missionary has their own, we use it for area book, planning, gospel library(super awesome) proselyting, and limited internet. So that is super awesome. They just got them like a month ago do everyone is still adjusting, I was the first group to come in since they got them. So because of that, we are allowed to read emails anytime, so I can always read emails, anytime you wanna send them, but I can only reply on Mondays still. Also I can email anyone, that changed. Also I don't have a time limit to email, so I can kind of email all day on Mondays. All of these things with in reason of course and not excessive.
So you also probably noticed I am using Facebook, so that's a thing, I can't communicate ally though with anyone family or friends from home that are members. I mean you can comment and like my stuff, but I can't really talk to you. We also got that in the last month. So everyone is still learning how to use it. It is helpful to get in contact with our less activs and investigators that don't have phones. Oh yeah, that being said, I am in the area closest to the city, I border to missionary boundaries, in a place called Wheeling. I am in a Spanish WARD with 3 other sets of missionaries. Including zone leaders and sister training leaders. My companion is Hermana Jacobson, she is awesome! She's a red head! But when they'd assigned me with her, I immediately knew it was write. I am the first person she has trained she has only been out 4 months ish so she just finished her training almost. She is from Portland area. We have been working a lot with inactives. We are in a rough area, everyone is very poor, and doesn't drive for that reason and others. Most of the people in this area are from Mexico. Even though we are in a ward it doesn't feel like it because most of out ward is inactive. Seriously. It is really hard. Maybe a 3rd of people come to church. People here have really hard lives, it is strange I definitely have never seen anything like this before, the poverty, and the hardships, and broken homes, or abusive homes..etc. Like I said it is a rough area. I'll have to take a picture of one of the areas we visit, it has the flash police lights on top of the street light p, which here basically signals a high crime area and that it is always recording. Good times.
I have been adjusting, I can't understand 9/10 things so that is sometimes frustrating, but even though I can't understand, I still have impressions of things I should say, and I roll with it. So yeah.
So I will conclude with a story....
We were eating with this less active the other day and she made these awesome homemade corn tortillas and some eggs, with tomatoes, and onions and such, and this warm milk with rice in it(you eat it with bread....so good!) and black beans. It was delicious. I was just eating along, and then I bit into something crunchy in my eggs....that's when the train hit....suddenly my internal body temperature was rising, and I am pretty sure I was over heating from the inside out.  Seriously my mouth was on fire! I died. And there was nothing to stop the burning! All there was to drink was warm milk! So you just had to keep eating. Which was fine until I bit into another one(I wasn't exactly sure what it was yet) but then I found out what they were and I sneakily snuck the rest of them into a napkin and they rest of the meal was great! So that was awesome. I think it was worse
because I wasn't expecting it. The meal looked so innocent! Those sneaky Mexicans! Also jeez do they like to arrive exactly when they want to. Mormon standard time has turned into Mexican Mormon standard time which is at least 15minutes later.
Also President Fenn....AWESOME. I seriously love him and his wife. This is a super obedient mission which is awesome. We focus heavily on the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. President Fenn is really strict on the things that matter, but on everything else, he is just a goof. He is an awesome speaker. Also, he doesn't write talks, so sometimes he says some interesting things....like my first transfer when he went off on a tangent about how he would love his missionaries to marry each other. He said he couldn't think of anything better. Then two
well trained missionaries from his mission marrying each other. He said, "It's okay to notice they are worthy vessels, you just can't act on it, until after the mission, then go home and marry them" it was hilarious, and then he kept saying, I probably shouldn't be saying this. So that was my first experience, it was quite funny.
We'll more on Wednesday!
Well I love you all! Email me, and write me letters! See you on Wednesday! Praying for you! Keep me in your prayers!
Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment