Thursday, March 17, 2016

Attempted Murder and Kidnapping - March 2nd, 2015

Dearest Family,

First things first, tomorrow we have a meeting with Elder Zwick of the
the 70. Pretty cool. He is coming to talk to us about iPads. Tomorrow
we are getting brand new iPad 2's and lots of new rules and such.
Everyone in the United States will be getting iPads during the week of
August 23rd. So everyone leaving after that buys their iPad. I on the
other hand, just get to use it and give it back when my mission is
over. Pretty exciting stuff. Mostly I'm really excited Elder Zwick is
coming. I like him. So that's pretty cool. What's not cool is that we
have to leave our house at 5:30am...an hour earlier than we even wake
up normally. So we will be waking up like 2hrs earlier. For a
missionary, that's killer, you can't just go home and sleep later or
go to bed earlier. It will be fun.

Also pretty cool, I know where I will be in Fall 2015! I'm going back
to BYU Idaho. I got my track assignment for fall/winter which I am
really excited about. So school starts in September which is nice. I'm
really happy. After the applications were finished I just kept feeling
like Idaho was where I should go. It will be great! :)

So funny stories for the week. Or funnyish. I guess.
We were knocking doors and I felt like we should knock on this one
door that wasn't on our list, so we did. We knock a few times and then
finally this little girl, about 6yrs old comes and opens the door,
followed closely by a women, who quickly says "Oh, come in" at this
moment as she is saying that and my companion starts to walk in, I
look down and see a hand gun in this women's hand positioned slightly
behind her leg. The women turns and walks farther into her house and I
quickly say to Hermana in alarm, "We aren't going in that house". So
then the women comes back, no gun in her hand and we just explain how
we want to give her a card and such, and then go on our way. As we are
walking away Hermana Diaz says, "I smelt all that smoke in the house
and I could barely breath standing in the doorway, I was wondering if
we were actually going to go inside" I respond, "Hermana did you see
what was in her hand?", "No", "Oh, well I wasn't really concerned
about the smoke when I saw her holding a gun in her hand, I'm not sure
who comes to their door with a gun in their hands when they are
planning on inviting the people in. And if she wasn't going to kill
us, well that still leaves me wondering who just walks around their
house with a gun in their hand?", "Maybe it was some sort of hostage
situation". So yeah, that was our exciting adventure. She was a polite
lady. Hermana Diaz and I made up all sorts of stories about how maybe
we just saved someone's life by sharing a picture of Jesus Christ and
how maybe that's why we were inspired to knock on the door. Oh the
mission. Murder.

Then, later this same day we are innocently sitting in our car outside
of a house, about to drive away, when we see this little old lady,
about 70's walking from the house towards or car, "She is probably
coming to yell at us or tell us we can't park outside her house" I
said. So we sit there and wait for this old lady to get to our car,
and then she does in fact turn towards our car, "Great she really is
going to yell at us". But then something weird happened. She stopped
right outside the back door and reaches out for the door handle. I'm
just kind of watching all this happen a little confused, when the lady
looks up and sees me inside the car and just kind of looks at me for a
minute. I roll down the back window of the door she was about to open
and some incomprehensible sound that was trying to begin a sentence
started to come out of my mouth as this lady tries to get in our car.
"Oh, I have a car that looks just like this that is waiting for me",
the lady says, completely unfazed by the fact that she almost got into
a strangers car, "Oh that's okay" I say concerned for this lady's
wellbeing. Then she just turns casually and walks back towards her
house. I roll up the window saying to Hermana Diaz, "What would have
happened if that lady had just gotten into our car and we turned
around and she saw us instead of whomever was picking her up". She
makes a phone out of her hands and talking into it says, "Um President
Fenn, we accidentally just kidnapped someone and she had a heart
attack in our back seat". Yeah, it was pretty funny. So strange.
Kidnap.

On to mission stuff, we are teaching these two little boys, I think I
have mentioned them. Edward and Manuel, well they're getting baptized
on March 14th. They came to church yesterday which was testimony
meeting. After a few testimonies Manuel who is 9 says to me, "Why is
everyone crying?" "Because they're sharing their feelings about Jesus
Christ and the church and stuff and so they cry" I respond. "Can
anyone do it?", "Yes", "I want to do it". "Okay, what are you going to
say?" I ask. Then he tells me some stuff he wanted to say which
sounded pretty good and I told him he could go up if he wanted to. So
after 10ish minutes of him starting to stand and then saying "I'm too
shy" I told him I would go with him. So then we walk up and he sits
down in the front as I go and share my testimony and then I come and
sit down next to him and he turns to me and says "Do I go now?",
"Yes", "What do I say?" He asks all nervously. "What you just told me
about your baptism and how you feel and stuff, come on you can do it".
So after this short little conversation in front of everyone! this
little 9yr old boy gets up all nervously and walks to the podium. And
then he shares a beautiful testimony about how happy he was to be at
church and how he is excited to be baptized on March 14th and then he
invited everyone to be there. He told them why he was getting baptized
and said he thinks it's cool that they have all been baptized and how
he hopes they all have a good weekend. It was so cute. He was just so
happy after. I put my arm around that little kid and we walked back to
the back. I asked him how he felt and he said, "I feel excited and
happy inside about getting baptized". This little boy is so cute. He
learns so well and feels the spirit. He loved partaking of the
sacrament. I'm so excited for their baptism. Their older brother who
is 14 is a member and their grandma who lives in the Dominican
Republic and besides that they basically are doing this alone. Their
mom is super supportive, but she isn't a member. They're great little
boys.

Well that was my week in a nutshell. We are teaching so many people
that are so great, a lot of them are progressing really well. This in
this area are just moving forward so well. I love it here. I love
Hermana Diaz. She is doing great. We have now entered my birthday
month :) 16.5 days away!!

I love you all. Fight the good fight.

Love,
Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment