Thursday, March 17, 2016

Enemy Territory. - January 19th, 2015

Familia,

Well I am so glad to hear the Seahawks won! Because I am here serving
in Wisconsin, and it was pretty awkward because everyone was watching
the game and kept telling me we were losing.....And I was just
wandering around in enemy territory, trying to share the gospel with
them, hoping that soon all their dreams would be crushed because the
Seahawks would beat their dear Packers. I think there is probably a
parallel in there somewhere. Go HAWKS :)

Anyway, moving on to missionary life. It seems like everything in my
life comes all at the same time. Like when the Lord wants to teach me
a principle it isn't slowly it's boom, everywhere I turn there is
something related to that. So this week I was taught a lot about a
prayer. It started with Hermana Neff and I recognizing that if we want
to accomplish our goals, and have the spirit with us always and become
consecrated missionaries, that starts with prayer. So we were focusing
on  truly praying for the desires of our hearts, and making sure the
desires of our hearts are the desires of the Lord. Then on Thursday we
had zone conference and President Fenn taught us all about prayer and
revelation. Some highlights of things he taught us:
Learn to create an environment for yourself where the spirit can be your teacher
Meaningless prayers are just as effective as NOT PRAYING
We must prayer more reverently, it is not a casual thing to approach the Deity
The best place to learn and exercise mental exertion and focus in in prayer
When you pray for broad generalities you get NOTHING- Specific
prayers, specific answers
Pay the price- get the answer
So I loved all of that I have definitely been trying to be completely
focused on my prayers. To not let my mind wander, and ridding my life
of things that do distract. I am trying to be specific as I pray,
especially for loved ones. In my personal prayers as well as when I
pray out loud. I have learned over and over on my mission that if we
seek the guidance of the Spirit in our prayers, we always receive what
we ask for, because we are praying according to the will of the Lord.
Then in church yesterday the lesson was on pray always. I was just
like no way. Haha so it's a big focus I have. Especially since I'm
sick and by the end of the night I just want to sleep. Haha

On that note. I love church so much. I forgot how much I like english
wards. It just feels like going home. I mean I love Spanish wards and
Spanish people, but there is something different about english wards.
I feel like I get to be edified too, and not just focused on making
sure everyone else gets spiritually fed. The members of this ward are
awesome. I am happy to be here with them. They're definitely teaching
me lots of things about the future life I want. That's what I always
learn when I am in an English ward and go into their homes and see
their families.
Now about these families and prayer, yesterday I had a cool
experience. We were at our ward mission leaders house for dinner. And
we taught them the restoration and then they asked me to say a prayer
and so I prayed. This is a family with younger kids, but such an
awesome family. So while I was praying I was seeking the spirit, and I
felt inspired to pray for specific things for this family and their
children en particular. It was a really cool and powerful prayer. I
think they really appreciated too.

Well this week has been full of ups and downs. The investigator
department is a little scare right now, but that's okay, we are
expecting miracles :) please pray for me. I could use some extra
prayer right now.

My companion is great! We are getting closer.

We also had interviews with President Fenn this week, and mine was
awesome. He talked to me a lot about taking up your cross daily and
how the sacrament in a time for renewal so that you have the strength
to take up your cross everyday. He shared the quote from C.S. Lewis
that says, "the cross comes before the crown, but tomorrow is a Monday
morning". Or some thing like that, I loved it. Then he told me part of
taking up your cross is praying for charity with all the energy of
heart. Charity is the last and greatest of all virtues, so maybe
that's why it's a big focus for me right now, being so close to the
end.

Well that was basically my week. I love you all. Fight the good fight.

❤️Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment