Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The Week I started learning Hindi.....really - June 2nd, 2014

Hello Everybody :)
So let me start by telling you this week was great. I learned so much.
I grew so much. And had a lot of fun...as you can tell from the
pictures :)
So I will start with the random/funnies of this week :)
First off, I am learning Hindi.....legit. We have Hindi neighbors and
we are having them teach us and they wrote their alphabet and the
coordinating letters, and pronunciation. It's awesome. Not that I will
ever be proficient in the language. But it's fun. Also during church
when we aren't translating, we sit by the signer(she does the sign
language) and we have been learning lots of sign language signs too.
Our zone leader is a sign language missionary. So yeah basically I am
learning lots of languages. Especially since Hermana Figueroa studies
Portuguese during language study, I am also learning bits of that.
It's exciting!
Other random thing, we went to visit a man we have been teaching. He
is a referral from the English elders and super awesome. Anyway we
went to visit him and we pull up outside his house and there is a
bunch of people outside his neighbors house drinking and such and we
hear just super loud music. We figure it is coming from the neighbors
house. So we get out and as soon as we get out we realize this super
loud (really so loud, it sounds like they were having a block party),
super explicit music was coming from our investigator Jesus's house.
So we are kind of shocked and we don't really know what to do at that
point. It was so uncomfortable. I was just like, I haven't heard this
kind of music since like the beginning of high school before I learned
better. It was so weird. Also the irony. Jesus....explicit music.....
Also this week we were out and about, and we had just gotten off the
bus when we take our phone out to check it and see that we have like 5
texts and 2 missed calls....this never happens....so we were like
um....what's going on. So our messages go something like this "Hey
zone there is a tornado warning, stay inside if you feel like it's
dangerous, be safe, be smart"...."hey zone, stay inside don't leave
your apartments until they drop the tornado warning"....."Hermanas
STAY PUT, DONT LEAVE"....."okay tornado warning over, you can all go
back to work". So first off, we had no idea. We were already out and
about. Second off this all happened in a matter of like 30mins. And
third, there was a text specifically to us, why? Hahah me and Hermana
Figueroa were just laughing like wait why did they single us out.
Especially since if their really was a tornado, where we live is where
it would most like hit. We live out in the middle of nowhere by all
the fields and the airport, and we live on the top floor. Staying put
for us would not be the best option. Haha so someday I might survive a
tornado. During the summer here we are always on tornado alert because
one could hit at anytime really. The storms are so cool. It's just hot
and sunny, and then all the sudden the clouds start to get dark, and
the humidity increases to an unbelievable level, and then you hear
thunder, and then it starts to sprinkle, and in about 2mins it is
complete downpour. It's the worst you get soaked walking to your car
that is 10seconds away. But it's really cool. Then about an hour later
it goes back to being sunny and hot. Good times out here in the
Midwest.
So we have been attending two church meetings. So we spend anywhere
from 4-6hrs at church on Sundays......it's great.....no it really is
though. I love these wards so much. It just feels like going home.
They are so good to us too. Our one member showed up to our ward
activity with a bunch of stuff to make fruit and kelp smoothies, after
we had talked to her about liking them and not wanting to gain a bunch
of wait. So we drink yummy smoothies everyday for breakfast it's
great. I think I am actually losing weight here because we walk so
much in the heat, and eat a lot less, and eat food I am more use to.
It's great.
Last thing, I am not sure if I told you this, but one of the little
girls in this family who we eat with all the time calls me "mama
missionary". I am not exactly sure why she does it. I think because
she can't pronounce Hermana. But either way, I have become a mama
missionary. Haha it's cute :)
And of course you saw all the pictures of the adventures from this
week. All the parties we had with the sisters. I learned how to do a
Filipino dance game thing. I don't know if Ida will recognize it. But
you can't let your feet get caught in between the pipes. And it goes
to a beat so your jumping and dancing around in between the pipes. It
was fun :)
Anyway sorry, on to the learning part of this week.
This week I learned a lot about repentance. The lessons in church were
about repentance or in other words, change and progression. And I just
had some eye opening moments of realization of things I already know
and believe and new things, I thought I would share with you. I truly
believe that repentance is a continuous process and that forgiveness
doesn't come over night, but comes as we strive with all diligence to
keep the commandments. We all have weaknesses that do 'easily beset
us' as Nephi said, and though we should NEVER become content with our
weaknesses, The Lord will show mercy as we strive to work to overcome
them. And when we mess up, it doesn't mean we start over and all our
repenting our the progress we made was in vain, it just means we made
a mistake and we keeping going because we will overcome through the
atonement of Jesus Christ. Everyone deserves a second, third, fourth
chance. And 'a soft and [we] will repent He will forgive". Repentance
really is a joyful thing. It is an opportunity fir us to be better, to
grow, and to improve because of our savior Jesus Christ. I love him.
Words will never we able to express the gratitude I have for Him. I am
such an imperfect person but through Him I have been able to overcome
so much. To change. To leave my sins in the past. To be cleansed, and
to be healed. If there is one thing I know it is that His merciful
arms really are truly stretched out to us. He loves us in a way we
cannot understand. I have had bride moments in my life where I have
felt this love that feels like it may consume me. I feel it as I
ponder on the mercy The Lord has shown me in my life, as I think on
the sweet forgiveness, healing, and love I have felt in my life. It
fills me with charity for those around me who need to feel this way.
It makes me want to be better. And I do want to be better. I want
today to be the first day of the rest of my mission. I want to work
harder, be more diligent, more focused. I want to be my best, do my
best, and give my best. My best love, my all, my whole heart. I want
to leave nothing undone. There are lots of hard things, and lots of
things about home I miss, and people who I love that are not close by
me. But I honestly never want to not be a missionary. The worth of
souls is just too great. I have been praying to feel the weight of my
calling as a missionary and I feel it. I never want to do anything
else but be a missionary. It's too important. It's the only important
thing, teaching people about the true church of Jesus Christ hat was
restored through the prophet Joseph Smith, so that they too might be
able, through sacred ordinances, to enter into our Father in Heavens
presence. I feel somewhat what Ammon must have felt like in the Book
of Mormon, I can't bare that any soul might perish without the truth.
I love you all, but I am never coming home. Haha :) just kidding
they'll force me home. But there is no better work. I love being a
missionary. Even on weeks like last week, I have never felt greater
joy then the joy I feel being a missionary and sharing essential
truths with God's children. And I am not special. This a joy anyone
can feel as the share the gospel of Jesus Christ with those around
them.
Well that was the week. Pray for Karla and Carlos. Satan is fighting
them hard because they are so close. We taught awesome lessons this
week with such amazing people. And we had three people at church!!! :)
YAY!
I love you. And I love my brother Payson who is going to turn 15 this
week!! You're the best Payson. Love you! Hope the birthday is amazing.
Be good!
That goes for all of you, be good ;)
Fight the good fight!
Con mucho cariƱo,
Tu misionera Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment