Thursday, March 17, 2016

Cold, Colder, Coldest - January 12th, 2015

Mis Queridos,

Well this week was preeeeety slow. It was so cold we had three 'snow days'. We were stuck inside on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. So that was pretty lame. But good I guess because I am getting sick. I keep fighting it, but my glands are swollen. :( pretty lame. But yes, it's been pretty cold here. The kind of cold where we were only allowed to be outside a minute at a time. Haha. Good times. I'm never living here if I can help it. 

But this gave Hermana Neff and I time to talk a lot about goals we have for this transfer. Well really goals, I have that she has accepted haha. We want to find a family to baptize. We do this by being worthy of the spirit. He spirit comes as a reward for righteousness. So we are striving to be exactly obedient and also to become completely consecrated. Leaving all we have and are on the alter of sacrifice. To serve with all of our heart, might, mind and strength. Letting go of everything and anything that could stand in our way. It's going to be an amazing transfer. I can feel the miracles coming together and being prepared for us as we prepare ourselves for them. I found a quote this morning in my studies, it says, "The word disciple comes from the Latin [meaning] a learner. A disciple of Christ is one who is learning to be like Christ--learning to think, to feel, and to act as he does. To be a true disciple, to fulfill that learning task, is the most demanding regimen known to man. No other discipline compares … in either requirements or rewards. It involves the total transformation of a person from the state of the natural man to that of [a] saint, one who loves the Lord and serves with all of his heart, might, mind, and strength’ "(Chauncey C. Riddle, ‘Becoming a Disciple,’ Ensign, Sept. 1974, 81)” (in Conference Report, Oct. 2000, 77; or Ensign, Nov. 2000, 61). I loved that description, and that is what Hermana Neff and I are striving to do this transfer. 

We had an amazing lesson in church on Sunday that really summed up quite well all of our goals and things we are striving for. It was called "The Great Commandment- Love the Lord" in the Ezra Taft Benson manual. There was a quote saying, 
"The great test of life is obedience to God. “We will prove them herewith,” said the Lord, “to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them” (Abraham 3:25).
The great task of life is to learn the will of the Lord and then do it.
The great commandment of life is to love the Lord."

I want to do that. I want to know the Lord's will, and do it. I want to be proven. And I want to love the Lord, as President Benson describes it, 
"To love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength is all-consuming and all-encompassing. It is no lukewarm endeavor. It is total commitment of our very being--physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually--to a love of the Lord.
The breadth, depth, and height of this love of God extend into every facet of one’s life. Our desires, be they spiritual or temporal, should be rooted in a love of the Lord. Our thoughts and affections should be centered on the Lord. “Let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord,” said Alma, “yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever” (Alma 37:36)."

I want every desire and goal I have in my life to be rooted in my love of The Lord. That's what I'm striving for. That's what I learned more about this week. Hermana Neff and I called our snow days our "spiritual preparation days". 

A little bit about my new companion and area. Hermana Neff is from Vancouver...Washington :) woop woop. She is a new missionary, obviously, since I'm training her. She is 19yrs old. And is a lot different than me. Thinking, and everything. Haha my new area is, cold. Haha and I'm not sure what else, I haven't really seen it. Haha. It's Wisconsin. The ward is great. We have awesome leaders, but it's a lot like the highland hills ward use to be.... (Newly wed and nearly dead) with a few exceptions. So I basically feel right at home. I love white people. They're so different, with so many stories. Beloit is a factory place. Lots of them. Mostly shut down, but that's what it use to be for. This area is a lot like Peoria. So we will see. I'm excited, but also don't know how to feel. 

Well I love you all. Hope this crazy time is a crazy, beautiful time. Be healthy and happy :) Fight the good fight. 

Love,
Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment