Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Best of times and the Worst of times - March 23rd, 2015

Familia,

Well this had a little bit of everything! Some of the best moments of my mission ๐Ÿ˜€ as well as the worst. ๐Ÿ˜” Seriously.

So on Tuesday we had New Missionary Training, in Naperville which 2 hours from our apartment. Well about an hour into New Missionary Training which is from 9:00am to 4:00pm by the way, I started to feel super sick. Well long story short, I got spent the rest of New Missionary Training alternating between laying on the couch in the foyer of the church, and throwing up in the bathroom. It was awful. I hate throwing up, seriously I think there is nothing worse. So if I am throwing up it tells you how sick I feel. I haven't thrown up since I was a senior in high school. Anyway we finally got home, I made it all the way home without throwing up. Then I basically just died. My sweet companion took care of me, and luckily she has not gotten sick. But I was miserable so I asked for a blessing. One of the members of the ward gave me a blessing with the Elders and it was really cool. The first thing said in the blessing was that the Lord was pleased with me and with the sacrifices I had made to come on a mission as well as the sacrifices I have made on my mission. So that was really nice to hear. Then in another part I was blessed to have a keen mind to finish the work of the Lord on my mission. This was also very significant to me because I have been feeling mentally 'out of juice' lately. Like just mentally exhausted. I have been trying to figure out how to overcome this and stay mentally engaged the rest of my mission. So it was really cool to hear that, and since then my mind has actually felt different. More alert and clear. I was also blessed to be healed and keep liquids down which was nice, because I was dying of thirst but every time I drank anything my body rejected it. Then last I was blessed "to receive all the blessings promised to me in the pre-mortal existence in the due time and way of the Lord". That was very interesting. Then I went home and slept basically until district meeting the next day- My Birthday. Yeah, I was still sick on my birthday ๐Ÿ˜ฅ but at least I wasn't throwing up anymore. By dinner time I was still able to eat corned beef and cabbage as is tradition for my birthday ๐Ÿ˜€ THANKS MOM! I forgot to take pictures. But it was sweet. So basically being sick one of the worst experiences of my mission. I have NEVER not worked because if being sick, even when I had strep throat, so I hated it. Plus I hate throwing up. It was terrible. But hey, I'm 22 now and I learned that everything Taylor Swift said about being 22 is a lie. Haha

Thursday we had Sisters' Conference and that was so cool. I was feeling fine again which was nice. We were instructed by all of the sister training leaders and President and Sister Fenn. The spirit was so strong and I heard some thing I really needed to hear and received some answers I wasn't really looking for yet. After Sisters' Conference we went on exchanges with the Hermana Training Leaders. I was with Hermana Lopez here in Beloit. It was cool, we worked hard, I had a 2nd Birthday dinner with Klein family who I have adopted as another set of grandparents. Seriously, he calls us and says, "Hi Sister Simmons, this is grandpa Klein...err..I mean Brother Klein". I love them. He tells everyone at church I am his granddaughter. Haha. Then we taught some amazing lessons on Friday morning. (Exchanges are usually 24 hours). Both to less actives. One of them is so strong, and has so much faith, but has been having a really hard time. Her husband passed away a few years ago, so she lives alone. She is on dialysis 3 days a week and has a broken hip. Pretty much she has the short end of the stick. But she has so much faith and I had such a cool experience in her lesson where I started to say something and in my head I thought "Heavenly Father is so proud of her". And I was like hm well I'm sure he is, that's cool, and then I started to finish the sentence I was in the middle of when the thought came "tell her Heavenly Father is proud of her". And the feelings associated with this thought were so powerful, and had to pause and collect myself so I didn't cry and during this pause, again came " Tell Her!". So I opened my mouth and said, "Sister, Heavenly Father is so proud of you." And the spirit filled the room so strong. Then words just kept coming out of my mouth that I hadn't intended to say, including that the Lord just wanted her to hold on and He would show her how all of these things have worked together for her salvation. It was an awesome experience.

Then we exchanged back and had some crazy things happen. We were suppose to have a baptism on Saturday of Johanna and Ramon and Jose, the people I was teaching in Rockford. Angels family. But crazy things happened and so the baptism was moved to Friday. So we rushed to the baptism on Friday night. Family, I don't know how to put into words the feelings I had of being at the baptism. But I love this family so much. Every time I talk about them I start to cry. This family is my family. Actually during the baptism I kind of wished you were all there so you could meet these people who I love so much and who have become my family. I just balled my eyes out when I was talking to Johanna. She was going through and telling Hermana Hunsaker and I all the specific ways we had changed her life and the things that we had said and done that changed her and her family. I just wept. Seriously. I love that woman and her family more than I know how to put into words. I remember before I left on my mission, Louis said something to me about how on your mission you meet people that you come to love in away you didn't know was possible, they become your family and you come to realize that like you own family, for heaven to be heaven, they have to be there. Well that is exactly how I feel about this family. My joy is full to the brim. The fill a place in my heart I didn't know existed till I met them. The baptism was a sweet experience. I was just filled with so much love, for Heavenly Father and His plan, for this family, and for Hermana Hunsaker and all we went through for them. She real,y is such an amazing missionary. Every time I see her I am just filled with pride for what a powerful missionary she is. And love for Hermana Neff, who was able to harvest the seeds I sowed. I wouldn't have wanted anything more than for her to be able to go and work with the people I love so much. I knew they would be in good hands. She is such a good missionary. I am so blessed to have been able to train these two missionaries and see them grow and become powerful instruments in the hands of God to change the hearts of those around them, including myself. But I love this family, and at their baptism I was able to see Yuri and Rafael, some less actives I worked with a lot when I was in Rockford. And by worked with a lot, I mean I poured my heart and soul into that family. I never gave up even when everyone else did. I just loved them and they told me that what Hermana Hunsaker and I had done for them had changed their lives. They're doing so much better now, I mean the difference is incredible. I feel like Ammon when he says,

"But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God. Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever. Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." Alma 26:11-12, 16


It's really quite amazing to me to have these experiences and be able to see how merciful the Lord has been unto me. How much He has strengthened me and guided me. How He made it possible for me to even be here on a mission after everything, and then to be able to see the sweet miracles I have seen. It brings me to my knees and fills me with such gratitude that my words can't express. I love my Father in Heaven. I love His children, and I want them to be able to come home. I love this work, because this is home they find the only way home. He interesting thing is. Rockford was by far the hardest place I have served. Everyday was a test of some sort. Of my patience and ability to endure, of my focus and ability to seek and act on revelation. I have never been more stressed or felt more unsuccessful on my mission than during the time I spent in Rockford, and yet, I loved that place, I planted and worked, there was many tears, fervent prayers, pain and sorrow, I gave my heart and my soul and yet I left without seeing anything much come from it. But now, the Lord is His mercy has showed me the sweetest of joys and they have all come from there. I know the Lord has a plan. I know that He knew how I felt in Rockford and I know that He never once stopped helping me. I know He needed me to be there and now He has shown me why. I have learned so much better now how to trust in the Lord and to just keep going against all odds, because The Lord will not abandon us. I have learned better now how to never give up when the Lord asks you to do something. I am so grateful for the grace and mercy I have experienced throughout the journey of my mission. I feel incredibly blessed. Much more than I deserve. I know that Heavenly Father is good. I know that He loves His children and He is doing all He can to help them come home.

On Sunday in church Hermana Diaz and I sang a version of "I know that My Redeemer Lives" (p.s. I have sang a lot of my mission). I just want to finish with the words of that song. Think deeply on their meaning and your own testimonies of the Savior. I know He lives. I know the words in this song are true.

1. I know that my Redeemer lives.
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead.
He lives, my ever-living Head.
He lives to bless me with his love.
He lives to plead for me above.
He lives my hungry soul to feed.
He lives to bless in time of need.

2. He lives to grant me rich supply.
He lives to guide me with his eye.
He lives to comfort me when faint.
He lives to hear my soul’s complaint.
He lives to silence all my fears.
He lives to wipe away my tears.
He lives to calm my troubled heart.
He lives all blessings to impart.

3. He lives, my kind, wise heav’nly Friend.
He lives and loves me to the end.
He lives, and while he lives, I’ll sing.
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.
He lives and grants me daily breath.
He lives, and I shall conquer death.
He lives my mansion to prepare.
He lives to bring me safely there.

4. He lives! All glory to his name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same.
Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
“I know that my Redeemer lives!”
He lives! All glory to his name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same.
Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
“I know that my Redeemer lives!”

I love you all. I love my Savior Jesus Christ. Fight the good fight.

Love,

Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment