Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rockford Diaries Week 1: A little place called Rockford - September 8th, 2014

Well hello there,
Here we are at another preparation day! I have been think all day what
I am going to write because not that much happened this week. But we
took some great pictures, so be excited :)
Well Hermana Miller is a great missionary. I like her a lot. We are
going to have some fun times together. I can tell already. :) She just
wants to be exactly obedient and do her best. Being with her really
makes me want to make sure I am doing my very best and setting a very
good example.

Rockford really isn't as scary as everyone said it was. It feels just
like downtown Tacoma or east side. I was like oh, this seem familiar.
Our apartment is one of the not as nice ones, but too be fair, I have
had really nice apartments. But the miracle of the week is that we
started the week without wifi because this apartment didn't have wifi,
but by about Thursday I was over that, so we walked over and asked our
neighbor if we could use her wifi and she said yes. Basically I did a
service to all missionaries who will ever serve here in the future,
and made our lives significantly easier. (Our whole schedule and area
book is on the iPads, and without wifi we can't sync and both know
what is going on, plus with wifi you can use the church websites to
study, etc). So that was great. We have a kind of big area, so lots of
work to do. I like the area though. I like the branch. Everyone is
really nice. I know I am here for a reason. I can just feel it. Even
though I miss Bloomingdale a lot. I know this is where I need to be. I
feel like my last areas have prepared me for this one. So here is the
beginning of great miracles. Speaking of which, we plan on doing lots
of finding, I am not in love with our teaching pool(people we know and
teach, etc) not very many of them are super promising. So we are
working hard and trying to seek the spirit to help us find new people
who are ready for the gospel that is going to bless their lives so
much.

Well this week was one of those weeks where not a lot happened. We are
hoping the following week is more successful.

This week I have been feeling a lot like the spirit isn't speaking to
me. For example in my studies, feeling like they're just average, even
though I am trying to make them inspiring. It's interesting. It's not
that the spirit isn't here with me. But I feel like it's one of those
moments where I want to be told what to do, I want my mind to be
illuminated, and my soul expanded and so the spirit has decided to
step away and let me figure it out. It's kind of frustrating. :) haha

So I am still just trying to overcome my weaknesses. I have been
working to develop the strength, ability, and testimony to seek first
the 'kingdom of Heaven'. I want to go home better than I came. I want
to go home knowing I have developed a testimony that will sustain me
when my demons, and the 'temptations that do easily beset me' are
there waiting for me when I get home. I want to develop deep roots.
Something I didn't really have before I came on my mission. So I have
just been trying to develop my spirituality. My humility. And overcome
worldliness. I know those thing won't happen over night, it will be
probably a lifetime process. But I think it starts with settling it in
your heart, that I will work to someday get to the point that I abhor
all sin, that I will have the companionship of the Holy Ghost to the
full extent, and that I will be humble without being compelled to be
humble.

Well I love you all so much. I really missed you this week family.
Especially with all the changes, here and home, I think those are the
weeks I feel a little homesick. So just know I love you all so much. I
miss you and I am always praying for you.

Fight the good fight,
Hermana Simmons

P.S.
This week we were alphabetizing something, or re-alphabetizing
something, and someone put it in the order u-v-w and all week I was
telling Hna Miller, "that's awkward someone doesn't know the alphabet"
"oh sad, they don't know the alphabet" "don't they know v comes after
w". Then finally I realized my mistake.....that awkward moment when I
didn't know the alphabet..... V comes before W. My bad. It was pretty
funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment