Thursday, March 17, 2016

Rockford Diaries Week 9: Are we Human or are we Dancer? - November 3rd, 2014

Mis Queridos,

Well this week was pretty slow, so for that reason I don't really have much to write about the week itself. Most of our investigators are going through some trials of faith right now. So please pray for Roberto, and Mini, and Teresa, and Mariana. That being said, I will just tell you about what I learned this week.

#1 The Lord has blessed me with some incredible people in my life. From amazing companions, like Hermana Barlow, who I went on exchanges this week, to the wonderful mom of one of my companions to my own Mom who is so great there isn't words. I have been so blessed with the people The Lord has put in my support group. I seriously would not be the person I am without all of you. There has never been a time where at least one of you has been there to encourage me along and make life much sweeter for me. Thank you all so much, I hope The Lord blesses you to know how you all fill my heart with love and happiness :)

#2 The moment you give into to weaknesses, Satan begins to drag you down. This week was a bit frustrating for me because of somethings that were going on with people around me (not my wonderful companion, I love her). And I'm only human, (or am I?) I don't have an infinite supply of patience. So I found my self getting pretty frustrated, maybe brushing the line of anger, and when that started well it all just went downhill from there. Because the Spirit can have no place in us when we are feeling that way and then well, basically just flip the table because nothing is going to go the way you want now. And that goes along with the next one.

#3 The Spirit is absolutely %100 essential to everything we do. I mean I have always know this, but I think in the time I have been in Rockford it is becoming more and more apparent to me, that I am completely and totally useless if I don't have the direction of the Spirit. I have been striving recently more than ever before to be as in tune with the spirit as I can. To prepare myself, sanctify myself, study, fast, and do everything I can in order to have the Spirit with me. That is all that is important, that these people hear what God wants them to hear, and that I do what God wants me to do. I only know those things through the promptings of the Spirit.

#4 I am learning more and more everyday the kind of person God wants me to be, and the kind of person I want to be. As well as the kind of person I will need by my side for eternity. I am not sure if I told you but I have been doing personal progress again since coming to Rockford, and this as well as just moments of growth and eye-opening experiences have really helped me realize who God is trying to get me to become, and who I am suppose to be. It has been a really cool experience to feel my soul pulling me to be this person that is deep inside, to feel this longing to be better and more than I have ever been, and not just for the mission but for life. I think as I get closer to the end of my mission my focus has changed a little bit from becoming the kind of missionary I want to be, to becoming the kind of person I want to be. I am not so focused on developing skills only for my mission, but on developing these skills and talents and abilities for my life. In a good way. I have just realized that the mission is preparation for life and I need to apply it more internally. To become more, not just do more. To internalize, not only externalize.

#5 I have been learning the importance of prayer. I mean I already went through learning this, but now I am relearning it, and adding more to my knowledge. The mission really does teach you things line upon line. Here a little, there a little. To sum this learning up I will just share a quote from Elder Wirthlin, “May I ask you today to consider the effectiveness of your prayers? How close do you feel to your Heavenly Father? Do you feel that your prayers are answered? Do you feel that the time you spend in prayer enriches and uplifts your soul? Is there room for improvement?

“There are many reasons our prayers lack power. Sometimes they become routine. Our prayers become hollow when we say similar words in similar ways over and over so often that the words become more of a recitation than a communication. This is what the Savior described as ‘vain repetitions’ (Matthew 6:7). Such prayers, He said, will not be heard. …

“Do your prayers at times sound and feel the same? Have you ever said a prayer mechanically, the words pouring forth as though cut from a machine? Do you sometimes bore yourself as you pray?

“Prayers that do not demand much of your thought will hardly merit much attention from our Heavenly Father. When you find yourself getting into a routine with your prayers, step back and think. Meditate for a while on the things for which you really are grateful” (“Improving Our Prayers,” in Brigham Young University 2002–2003 Speeches [2003], 160).

Well that's what I learned this week. I am trying to be the best I can. I am trying to learn and grow the most I possibly can in the next 6 months. I want to finish sprinting to the end. I want to share goodness with everyone I come in contact with, and then when I come home, I want to change the WORLD!.....too far? Maybe a little bit haha but I am excited to see how my mission influences the rest of my life and helps me fulfill my dreams, and goals, which have become a lot more solid since being a missionaries.

Well I love you all so much. Keep being cool and awesome. Go out and share goodness with those around you. Don't be a jerk to anyone, even if you think they deserve it. Serve others. Be kind and uplifting. Fight the good fight.

Love,
Hermana Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment